Friday, August 17, 2012

{One Year}

Hey look!
Today is August 17th!
Not a super big deal, but in the life of Rick and Caley it's pretty much a super awesome day...and as a matter of fact, it changed our lives forever! {Sounds so cliche...}
We got engaged a year ago today! Wahoo!
But seriously, thinking back one year, and seeing how far we've come, is such a happy thought.
Rick and I started the day out sort of odd to be honest.
Rick: "Hey babe, wanna meet up SUPER early, at like six, and take some sunrise pictures? And like, we could dress up and stuff?"
Caley: "Uhhh, {whattheheckishethinking?!} sure!
So, Rick and I met up {with coffee in hand} dressed in our matchy-matchy outfits, ready to hit the town. Bright and early. And me, totally not anticipating a proposal.





{These were some of the photos from that day.}
After a few hours of pictures and kisses and giggles and August dirt and sweat and uncurled hair and miles driven for THE perfect spot, Rick drops me off back at home. We had planned to go to the Northfork for the day with some friends, so I get ready for that while he heads home and gets ready as well. {Or so I thought.} A few hours later, he picks me up, as usual, and we head to the river! Singing, and eating swedish fish and whoppers, enjoying eachothers company, as usual.
Shortened version starts now:
Get to Northfork.
Freeze in the freezing water.
Try and get my head wet.
Fail.
Play.
Eat food.
Take a "float."
Chill.
Freeze.
Eat food.
Chill.
Blah blah blah.



Annnd, after like, oh, I don't know...2 hours or so, it's now probably like 3 in the afternoon and Rick is "toooooo tiirreeedd and waaannnts to goooo hooomeee..."
So we "head home." Heading home the opposite way. And as the little Caley that I am, I didn't realize at first that he had driven a hour in the wrong direction. Oh well.
After awhile I fall asleep. Then wake up and keep one eye open to see where we could possibly be going, because waaayy in the back of my mind thinks "Ohmygosh, what if Rick proposed today?" Then I fall asleep again.

Rick says a while later that we're lost.
I say...uh-oh, and then sleep. {I was a little bit tired I think.}
Rick drives some more, and after awhile we find ourselves overlookind Detroit lake, at sunset, on this old logging road, waaay in the middle of nowhere.
And, just as fate would have it, I have to, uhh, use the ladies room.
And, as we all know, that doesn't exist in the middle of nowhere.
Caley: "Rick, would you drive me back down the road a little bit behind that bend and drop me off? I kinda have to pee real bad..."
Rick: "Umm, no...can you just walk babe?"
Caley: "What?" You're not going to drive me?"
Rick: "Caley..."
Caley: "grumble, walk, grumble, run a little, grumble...and then pee."
Heading back up the van, I look up, and see Rick just standing there. Smiling this huge, cute, soooo wonderful-favorite grin. Taking pictures of me. Seriously Rick, I've been at a river all day. I feel kinda uggfest.


I walk up to Rick, and hear our song playing on the radio.
Rick: "Caley, wanna dance?"
Caley: {ohmygoshohmygoshohmygosh} "Yes..."
We dance, and giggle, and I totally take in the moment because I KNEW it was happening. I knew it.
We dance around and make our way to behind the van, and this was set up there:

And the next few minutes were a blur. Rick hugged me so long and so tight, told me he loved me, {which happened to be the first time those words had ever come out of his mouth} told me he wanted to spend his life with me, kissed me, and ASKED ME TO BE HIS WIFE!
I totally said YES.
After the proposal, Rick and I went down to Detroit lake explored a secret waterfall, took more pictures, and called family and friends.









So, in the end, we were so stinkin' happy, engaged, in LOVE, and so excited to begin our lives TOGETHER!
And, after a year, I am more in love with this man than ever. I am incredible blessed, and absolutely thankful for such a wonderful husband! God is so good.

Love, Caley

No comments:

Post a Comment